Wednesday 20th June 2018
by Maria Griffin
To move or not to move – when cloud isn’t always the answer!
At times there are indeed are some very good reasons not to move certain business applications and services to the cloud. How you might decide when moving is not the right answer, can be determined in a variety of situations. For example
- If your business application needs frequent modification or customisation.
- If your application is bespoke and critical to your business operation and moving it could carry too great a risk.
- If your service might have performance challenges, best tested through a Proof of Concept.
- If you frequently extract large volumes of data from the application and interact with other applications.
- If your application has a physical onsite dependency.
This is why most organisations use hybrid cloud models – there is nearly always something that is better off left alone. But at the same time there are many applications that perform better and are more resilient in the cloud, carrying greater benefits to your business. These include:
- Data backup and disaster recovery
- Data storage
- Business Intelligence
- Public facing applications and websites
And there are many good reasons to move these applications. One of which is data loss prevention and data security. Another is the ease of software updates. Here are 6 more benefits you can achieve when moving these applications:
- Employees can access vital cloud-based business applications no matter where they are.
- New users and storage space can be quickly added to enable easy expansion.
- Microsoft Azure provides uptime guarantees of 99.9% – Amazon AWS 99.99
- Staff members can easily share data and collaborate on projects across continents.
- Cloud-based infrastructure enables scalability without upfront investment.
- Applications based in the cloud help with GDPR compliance.
So, there are still many occasions where we advise our customers not to move certain systems to the cloud and keep them exactly where they are. But on balance, there are lots of cloud solutions which will certainly enhance your business.