Wednesday 15th March 2017
by Ken Walshe
15 ways to make your organisation more secure
There are a number of ways that businesses can manage the security of their organisation – from simple things such as shredding hard copies, to larger scale implementation of a disaster recovery process.
It’s vital to protect your business against hackers, ransomware and viruses. No system is fool proof – if someone really wants to, they most likely will break in. The best thing to do is put safeguards in place so that cyber criminals look for easier targets.
Here are 15 tips that can help make your organisation more secure:
- Move to a cloud-based infrastructure. Here’s an article on the benefits of Office 365 Exchange Online.
- Know where your data is stored and back it up regularly including to a remote location and retain regular offline copies.
- Enforce your employees to change passwords at least monthly.
- Upgrade to Windows Server 2016. There are a number of excellent new security features.
- Remove unauthorised software such as LogMeIn, TeamViewer and GoToMyPC.
- Limit sensitive information access to those who need it.
- Enforce data loss protection including USB lockdown and remove access to file sharing services such as Dropbox, Gdrive, Box.
- Upgrade firewall and server firmware.
- Use encryption software to protect your sensitive information.
- Educate your team. Ensure they understand why it’s important to be security conscious. Just an hour every now and again as part of a team meeting will help.
- Plan for things to go wrong so that you are prepared if they do.
- Regularly test your disaster recovery process.
- Secure your mobile data and ensure there are policies regarding BYOD (bring your own device) such as lock-down device, encrypted work data and remote-wipe facilities.
- Regularly update operating systems, anti-virus software and software patches.
- Physically secure hardware devices and ensure there are security policies related to building access.
IT security is an ongoing, changing landscape. The cyber criminals will never stop and their methods are evolving. Securing your data is your responsibility so having a third party manage your IT infrastructure and data security gives you the time to concentrate on your core business.