With ITIL standards, core guides cover the critical aspects of IT service management, from understanding IT requirements for businesses, to defining and establishing the appropriate services that are needed to maintaining and enhancing IT delivery.
Changing IT service delivery can be a daunting task if not approached in a pragmatic and realistic way. A proven approach for use of ITIL standards is through a simplified step by step practical framework that is aligned with your IT service management and wider business priorities and needs. Done well, ITIL standards can help to drive concrete improvements in IT processes and support your business in adopting a quality IT service management practice, regardless of business size or industry.
The importance of ITIL
To gain a real understanding of ITIL, it is critical to understand the relationship between IT and your business success. You depend on IT to achieve your business goals; how IT is supported and managed influences how you carry out operations, processes and interactions; and IT is an essential element of running your business.
It is accepted that IT can help business sharpen its competitive edge, attract a bigger and wider customer base, and increase productivity and efficiency. In the same way, IT can be critical to increasing business revenues, minimising operating costs and enhancing your company’s reputation.
With this in mind, making the most of your IT investments is vital. This means that the way in which IT is provided to users and customers needs to be planned, created, managed, and deployed accordingly. In the absence of clear processes and standards for IT management, IT services often fail to deliver on their promises or end up going over targeted budgets. Ongoing costs can be difficult to manage, putting your business at risk before you realise any returns on investment. Simply put, the quality of your IT service management is critical to whether IT is a cost or benefit to your business.
If you are implementing or improving IT service management standards, you can take some simple steps:
- Foster awareness: This is the first step to ensure that the people who will either fund the changes or will be impacted by changes are on board and actively supportive. Investment calculations can help you understand to what level ITIL should be implemented to generate financial returns
- Analysing available options: By reviewing your options, you can determine what aspects of the ITIL framework are a reasonable choice for your organisation depending on where you are with IT services. You can decide on implementation options such as whether to employ a consultant.
- Project preparation: This is the part when you begin to organise and gather information ready for implementation. This includes taking stock of resources you may or may not have, so you can fully understand what adopting these standards entails.
- Preparation management: This involves an efficient structuring process to carry out a project presentation to key personnel and look at the information which will be communicated throughout your company as a result.
- Start of implementation:This step looks into making necessary changes to close gaps in the early stages of adoption and ensure the best implementation criteria for ITIL standards are met.
- Implementation review: This ensures your organisation is constantly improving and that actions are correctly executed.
Trilogy Technologies can help manage your IT success through quality standards.